The Furry Chronicles Headline Animator

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Poppy L

Poppa L – Poppa L was a/the major influence in my early life. He was a nuggetty little bastard, only about 5’5” or 5”6” tall, wiry, but strong as a bull. Prior to the Second World War, during the Depression he made money (got by) by competing in wood chopping comps, fighting in the tents & baking.

The fighting tents had a prize (purse) that increased in value as new fighters entered the ring. A pound was put into a hat, and the last fighter standing at the nights end, got the purse. 20 to 30 pounds could be up for grabs in a night, so it was a much sort after prize during the tight times.

Poppa L, being a shortish bloke, he was always introduced as an “easy beat”, early into the night’s proceedings. He was used by the promoters to lure much large opponents into the ring. It wasn’t unusual for Poppa L to be involved in 20 odd fights in a night, and still walk away with the purse. (He was also paid a shilling a fight by the organisers).

Maybe they didn’t mention the fact he was a Victorian Junior Golden Gloves 3 years in a row during his younger years.

He further supplemented his income shooting bunnies (rabbits) & selling them cleaned & gutted to people around his neighbour hood.

During the Second World War he was a soldier, and was highly decorated. I’d wear his medals to Kindergarten or Primary School on Remembrance Day. I told him when I got older; I would join the ARMY & get lots of medals too.

He told me that medals were to remind people how silly they’d been.

He served almost the entire war, firstly in New Guinea, then with the “Rats of Tubruk”. He spoke very little of the war, of his experiences, even of his feelings. He didn’t attend the RSL (Returned Serviceman’s League), because he felt it glorified the war too much. I think that personally, there were too many reminders for him on the walls.

He also never attended a Dawn Service, an ANZAC march, or the after celebrations. If I recall correctly, he was always quite sombre on those days.

After he returned from the War, he was one of the founding members who got ASIO up & running. He received his Commission when I was about 3 years old & eventually left the Armed Services/Government sector. His final job was with “The Age” newspaper in some sort of Maintenance position, (I think).

He was, the best Poppa anyone could want. He looked after (adored) both my cousin (Lainie) & I when we were children. He was always taking us on picnics, adventures, outings. Everyday with Poppa L was a learning experience, but better than that, every day was fun.

He taught me how to shoot. He was very much of the old school. No pray & spray, but one timely shot. Quick, clean, fast. He used to say, “Shoot only what you need for today, and make every shot “clean”. You owe it to the animal”.

We’d go out shooting together, regularly. Poppa taught me how to track, what signs to look for, where animals gather, why they gathered, and, how to shoot. First with the old open sights, then with telescopic sights. What he taught me put me in good steed for when I joined “Big Bangs R Us”, (the ARMY)

I was the black sheep of the family, and in late childhood/early teens he was about the only person who looked out for me. When my Poppa L passed, my life & interaction within the family unit altered dramatically. With my support base gone, I was a lamb to the slaughter. That’s all I want to say about that.

He also made the best cream sponges & lemon meringue pies EVER!

Ta Poppa.

No comments: